Wednesday, March 3, 2010

bleached-out lace eyes

I have been craving new and exciting. I have a xylophone that my very favourite friend is letting me play with. I like it; I spent Sunday night drinking cider in an attic fort-room playing the chord-organ and looking at books about history.

The warmer weather makes me want to run around a lot - I kind of love the feeling of slightly sinking into the half-thawed, muddy ground.

In my pursuit for creativity, I present you with a list of music for your teeth to bite into. Try it, I'm sure you will like it.

Sore Eros - Yellow Dress
Fairly new to my music collection, Sore Eros is a band that cleverly combines artistic sound with the depth of talented music beauty (if that makes sense - it does in my mind).

This video is super cool. I find it very mesmerizing in a kind of nostalgic way. I want to make a fort out of it.


(shot and edited by Rob Robinson)

Leonard Cohen - You Know Who I Am
We read Cohen in my Canadian Literature class today, and it reminded me of how great an artist this man is. His poetry resonates with my own poetic views, and his words strike me so strongly to create something just as beautiful.

This is one of my favourite of his work:

A Kite is a Victim
      A kite is a victim you are sure of.
      You love it because it pulls
      gentle enough to call you master,
      strong enough to call you fool;
      because it lives
      like a desperate trained falcon
      in the high sweet air,
      and you can always haul it down
      to tame it in your drawer.
      A kite is a fish you have already caught
      in a pool where no fish come,
      so you play him carefully and long,
      and hope he won't give up,
      or the wind die down.
      A kite is the last poem you've written,
      so you give it to the wind,
      but you don't let it go
      until someone finds you
      something else to do.
      A kite is a contract of glory
      that must be made with the sun,
      so you make friends with the field
      the river and the wind,
      then you pray the whole cold night before,
      under a travelling cordless moon,
      to make you worthy and lyric and pure.

My Morning Jacket - New Morning (Nick Cave cover)
I can thank a friend who had absolutely every My Morning Jacket album and loaded my ipod with their beautiful melodies and Jim James' captivating, and deeply inspiring voice. Check out his solo stuff - Yim Yames if you've over-listened to My Morning Jacket by now (if there is even such a thing)

Tom Waits - I want you

Tom Waits - I wish I was in New Orleans

If his voice hasn't stirred a creative chord in your bones, scroll down.



Point proven. What a babe.

Neutral Milk Hotel - Ghost

I wish I was born in a bottle rocket. Neutral Milk Hotel's lyrics send me to a different place and time all together. A location that I feel only exists in a dream or on a whole other wave-length of being.

The Velvet Underground - Heroin

I remember first hearing The Velvet Underground's self-titled album when I was 16, and knowing there was something alluring and majestic about their work, but not quite understanding it fully at that point. They have grown to be one of my favourites, and I would rank them up there with musical greats like The Rolling Stones, Joy Division, and Janis Joplin. Also, the thought of being part of the Factory scene in the 60s entices me.

http://userserve-ak.last.fm/serve/_/13115455/The+Velvet+Underground+factory2.jpg

No comments: